Wednesday, November 14, 2007

no.1: why i can make restaurants go bankrupt

I don’t eat a lot of stuff. Even though I love dining out, my idea of food excludes a lot of things on a menu.

Close friends already know that when I say yummy, it doesn’t include chicken. And sure it always prompts people to ask “why, do you have buni?” or something like that. Puulleeezzzz!!! I got none of those. I just don’t. For whatever absurd reason, I grew up not eating this feathered cackler. And now that I’ve grown older (and hopefully wiser, hehehe)… I never dared break what already turned into an unconscious crusade to spare the chicken from it’s barbaric slaughter.

Actually I tried eating chicken several times already. I can swallow it, no problem. But as soon as it hits the bottom of my intestines, it starts acting like the stirred lava of Pinatubo. My tummy rumbles, incessantly, until the intruder is thrown out, discharged through it’s original entry point.

I know it’s just psychological…. but hey, can’t help it. That’s why I can’t find joy in your Chicken Joy!

But it’s not only chicken that’s a no-no for me. A lot of other meat too. To sum it up, I only recognize beef and pork – that’s it. And oh, it’s limited to the meat please, not the internals! Maybe with the exception of Sisig (I’m not quite sure what it’s made of) specially if it’s Gerry’s, I don’t go for the organs – kidney, heart, liver, intestines, tongue, ears, eyes and all other gory parts. Eeewww! says my friend Jun!

In fish, I only eat common salt-water species. Bangus is the only fresh-water specie I can take. Which means I’m missing out on those tilapia, dalag and hito barrio folks normally enjoy. No-no too to ‘kilawin’ (raw fish and, i think, even some type of meat, marinated in vinegar sauce) or anything that is not fully cooked. That’s why even if I love steak, I can only take it if it’s well done, not medium, never rare. Blood oozing from the meat is disgusting for me. Which brings me to ‘dinuguan’, something that I also find unpalatable. Not that I’m a member of another religion.

And the discrimination doesn’t stop there. Coz even in veggies, I’ve got quite a few wars. I don’t like okra, sayote and other slimy varieties.

Weird huh. Well, at least I’m not so choosy when it comes to ice cream and chocolates!

No comments:

Post a Comment