Wednesday, November 14, 2007

beneath the bubbles

I’m not a big fan of soap opera, at least not many of them. Coz I think a lot of them are just made of exactly what it’s called – soap. A lot of suds but nothing underneath really. Storylines are used, abused and overused. Nothing new, everything’s just a copy or an improved, glamorized, satirized, whatever version of the other. Not only on local (I mean Philippine) television but even in the more advanced American television programming.

In the 90’s I liked Melrose Place. I watched it for several years until the story and characters started turning crazy. At least, to me, it was better than The Bold and the Beautiful which, I think, should instead be called The Never, Never, Never, Never, Never… ehhmm… Ending Story. Gosh, I’m still seeing it today with the once dashing Ridge already old and saggy. For goodness’ sake, give him a rest already!.

Lately I’ve become a fan of Desperate Housewives. Chic and slick storyline of funny, real characters who get into tricky twists and sticky situations along the way. I adore the pool of writers of this show. They must be working overtime to come up with something brisk and highly entertaining show, episode after episode. But it’s not Desperate Housewives I’m writing about.

It’s Dr. Heo Jun - a drama series shown in Arirang Tv, Monday to Friday.

I’ve seen it before, maybe a few times in passing whenever I’m surfing channels, trying to find something entertaining in the hundreds of free channels in my television. But I never paid attention to it. In fact, my first impression is that it’s just one of those corny dramas from Korea, one of the suppliers of soaps in Philippine television today (are Mexico and Taiwan still on it? Dunno really, got no TFC nor GMA.)

But somewhere in the 80th episode or so, I started appreciating it until I finally got hooked. I realized this soap has got some good things going for it.

First, the eye-catching costumes. Elaborate Hanboks – jeogori, baji and chimas - that probably cost a lot to the producers. Bright, colorful costumes that present a rich culture of the Koreans.

And yes, it’s the culture. The story is presented against the backdrop of idyllic life in Korea in, what I figure is, the 18th century. And it’s quite interesting to see how people of that era live their simple lives.

But Dr. Heo Jun doesn’t stop at cultures and good production design. It also presents a complex storyline. Based on the 20 or so episodes I’ve seen, it’s one story of epic proportions.

It tells the story of Heo Jun, an extremely talented doctor who made good reputation while he was still a student in a medical school, gained fame after he saved thousands of lives during a plague and in the process gaining the recognition of the King. Sweet huh. But wait, all the glory he’s enjoying is suddenly quashed as his dark past begins to haunt him.

It turns out that he was, in his younger years, a smuggler. An offence that has never lost it’s notoriety whatever century you’re in. And, he was a commoner who fell in love to and married a noble lady. Another major violation during those times when social classes command everything in one’s life.

He was a bad boy then. But a very good, dedicated and hard-working doctor now. And people around him – friends, colleagues and superiors at the hospital and even the chief of police, are struggling on where to place this man in their hearts and minds. Do you let him off the hook, let him do his noble work but in the process exonerating him from his crimes and in effect condoning his past? Big dilemma huh!

This is the kind of show that turns me from a watcher to a participant. When I start assessing my own judgment, analyzing my own principles and convictions. If I were the Police Chief, shall I arrest him or let him free? If I was his friend, shall I turn him in or shall I help him escape punishment? And believe me, when I start asking questions like this, then I know that the storytelling is indeed effective.

One thing I find corny though is the acting. It’s a bit like our ‘zarzuela’ movies of the 60’s – remember those b&w films RPN 9 run after lunch? The actors tend to OA all the time. Though I’m sure it’s not the skill of the actors that’s in question here. Some of them star in another soap (a more contemporary soap also in Arirang) and they act just fine (but I don’t watch it religiously like Dr. Heo Jun). Maybe it’s the director.

But it doesn’t take away the joy of watching the show. Afterall it’s not the acting I’m focused anymore. It’s the presentation of the story. And each episode ends leaving me with a bit of anticipation on what’s gonna happen next.

Some twenty episodes ago I was watching it at 11pm. So I had to stop myself from dozing off early in the night. Good thing I discovered just a few days ago that it’s shown a lot earlier, at 6:30 pm where the sub-titles are in Japanese and English. While the 11pm run is in English and Spanish. Hmmm… maybe the producers are thinking of exporting this to Mexico!? I hope Philippine Tv discovers this gem too.

No comments:

Post a Comment