Saturday, November 24, 2007

my top ten comedy/musical films

As I said before, marami pa akong favorite films and here's my top ten pagdating naman sa comedy and musicals. See if you can recognize all of them.

A Chorus Line. Released in 1976. Directed by Richard Attenborough. Starring Michael Douglas. With unforgettable songs like At the Ballet, Sing, Nothing and the more popular What I Did for Love, it ranks as my number one favorite musical of all time.

The Sound of Music. Released in 1965. Directed by Robert Wise. Starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. Ok, so this is pre-historic. But who can argue with the power of this classic. In fact, we wouldn't have learned our musical notes that easy if not for this movie. I watched it just recently in cable and I was awed. A timeless masterpiece.

Falling In Love. Released in 1984. Directed by Ulu Grosbard. Starring Robert deNiro and Meryl Streep - two of my top faves in the acting department in a romantic comedy about middle-aged lovers.

Big Business. Released in 1988. Directed by Jim Abrahams. Starring Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin. Two comic divas in a story of two sets of twins switched and separated at birth, one set ending up rich and the other poor. Imagine the riot when they meet later on.

Moulin Rouge. Rleased in 2001. Directed by Baz Luhrmann. Starring Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. According to my research, this is the third version of the film – with two previous versions, one in the 30’s and the other in the 50’s. Very smart use of contemporary songs on an old but still interesting material.

Death Becomes Her. Released in 1992. Directed by Robert Zemeckis. Starring Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn and Bruce Willis. A top-notch cast in a comedy-horror film that looks deep into our fear of getting old and dying. It won Best Visual Effects in 1992 from Oscars.

Flashdance. Released in 1983. Directed by Adrian Lyne. Starring Jennifer Beals and Michael Nouri. The 1,000-watt smile of Jennifer, some mean dancing and an OST that remains as one of my favorites. Flashdance… What A Feeling still makes me wanna dance whenever I hear it today.

Evita. Released in 1996. Directed by Alan Parker. Starring Madonna, Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Pryce. I was not a Madonna fan until she did this film. Then she turned me into a believer. Awesome songs like High Flying Adored, You Must Love Me, She Is A Diamond and Another Suitcase in the Hall made me buy the complete OST album.

The Full Monty. Released in 1997. Directed by Peter Cattaneo. Starring a host of British actors. The film that showed me that Brits, aferall, has got humor. A story of 6 ordinary, unglamorous steel workers who formed a group and did a striptease act! Hilarious!

The Devil Wears Prada. Released in 2006. Directed by David Frankel. Starring Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. In case you haven’t noticed, this is the third Meryl Streep movie in my top faves on comedy/musical category. Which means I love her on offbeat roles as much as I love her on serious ones. Hell, I love this wonderful actress in whatever she does .
If you haven't watched these wonderful films, I suggest you try them. Really entertaining. (Naku dapat bayaran ako ng mga producers nito huh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment