Tuesday, July 1, 2008

a beautiful symphony

This is almost a week old but as the saying goes, better late than never. That PNE hear my thoughts about their last concert in IPSA last Thursday – late, but better than never at all. Afterall, I wouldn’t be living up to the image I may have already established with the group (PNE) as someone who gives out comments no matter how unsolicited! Dante the opinionated! Hahaha!

Ok. So the venue was IPSA, in a covered court which, thanks to some mean airconditioning system, was comfortably freezing despite the searing heat outside. But, the concrete floor and steel roll-up doors aren’t the best backdrop to the great voices on stage. It is more apt for graduation exercises and class programs, even concerts by some forgettable pop or rock artists. But not for a group of this caliber.

Though I understand the decision to hold the concert in a venue as big as this one. Ticket sales is what’s important at this point. With that in mind, who am I to complain.

Afterall, their singing more than compensates for whatever distractions that bugged me during the concert. Ushers going to and fro with their noisy heels, attendees who walked in at the middle of the program and, despite the requested dress code, came in their walking shorts and flip-flops (darn, I always feel over dressed whenever I attend these concerts!) and kids jumping up and down the wooden bleachers where we were sitting.

But no matter what, the performance on stage is so strong, hypnotic and mesmerizing. There were moments that I got totally lost with the music, oblivious of what or who’s around me. Their fortesissimo, crescendo and decrescendos are now brightly polished there are times it was simply jaw-dropping. Without a doubt, PNE has now brought their skills and performance a notch higher since I last saw them perform. And mind you, they were already superb last year. So how would I describe them now? Winners is more like it!

But of course I wouldn’t be singing praises all the way through. PNE knows I blurt out the good news first before the bad ones.

First, it’s the guest performers once again. I hope PNE would find talents that would complement their already world-class performance. Though I know it would be difficult given the location and social conditions. Besides, if giving way to new, untapped talents is what they aim for, then again, I wouldn’t argue with that. In fact, it’s something noble so I’ll just have to salute the group.

As for the repertoire, I missed Medard’s hair-raising wailing part on the Idemdem Mallida. And so were the bamboo sticks that provided a truly ethnic feel to the song. Having seen it done last year, I felt that a big part of the song was missing. And since this is a competition piece for them, I hope he does it in Austria. Not only does it add drama to the song but it brings the entire performance to a higher dimension. If there’s one song that could win them the gold, this is the one.

Buko Nut Woman? Again, having seen it being done by the genuinely and effortlessly hilarious Nicko, is a bit of a letdown this year. The new version is also funny and I’d have to respect the guy for taking on such a big challenge and rising up to it no matter what. But for someone like me who’ve seen the best, I just can’t help but compare.

One Voice was also a disappointment. Maybe doing it by themselves, without any featured guests, would have made my friend Raoul happier. Coz I know how good they were when they sang it last year. I think PNE should make it their own. Not only does it showcase the range, power and harmony of their voices but it also has a great appeal to the public who doesn’t necessarily appreciate chamber music and other heavier and serious stuff.

One thing that I’m truly pleased this year is that they included songs from one of my favorite musicals – Miss Saigon. With Boi Doi and Why God Why, the long trip from Jubail and back is definitely worth it.

And Only You? Well, it obviously tickled a lot of people in the audience including my friend Jun. Doing that in the encore is a touch of genius. People who, at the start of the concert looked indifferent, piled out of the auditorium with wide grin on their faces.

Overall, I can only hope and pray that the hardwork and dedication being poured by each member of the group translates to winning the Austrian trip. Coz they have already won the hearts of the kababayans who watched them grow all these years. Including me. With that, I’ll say – Go PNE! You now deserve a gold medal. And that’s what you’re bringing back home. No pressure though! Hehehehe….

No comments:

Post a Comment