Monday, June 30, 2008

no. 9: bookworm not

I’ve been ranting about my favorite tv shows, movies and music. Now let me tell you about my reading influences. Though I’m not really a bookworm but if I find something interesting, I stick to it with much loyalty. Until I find something new and different.

If I’m not mistaken, I was still in my 5th grade when I started reading Readers Digest. Nakita ko lang sa pinsan kong may subscription. Although noong una, it was a challenge to read most of the articles because of the words na hindi pa natuturo sa school. Pero kahit ganon, enjoy na enjoy na akong magbasa noon. Ang ginagawa ko na lang, laging nasa tabi ko si Mr. Webster pag meron akong hindi maintindihan na word. And when things got easier, I would be devouring the Digest from cover to cover. Favorite section ko yong It Pays to Increase Your Word Power and the jokes (Humor in Uniform, Life in America, Laughter the Best Medicine, etc..) plus the drama features of real-life adventures, survival stories and other human interest topics.

It went on until my mid-High School days. That time, I was also bitten by the Mills & Boon plague kasi sikat na sikat noon. At siyempre, wag kalimutan ang mga komiks na nire-rent ko pa sa tindahan ni Aling Narda. And of course ang Jingle Extra Hot na puro kachismisan sa showbiz ang laman pero suking-suki din ako ng mga ito nong mga time na yon.

But it didn’t last long coz our English literature teacher introduced me to Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales which started my interest in English novels. Soon enough, I was reading Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The House of the Seven Gables and John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row. Yon nga lang, sa tagal na siguro ng panahon, kailangang basahin ko ulit sila ngayon just to remember kung ano ang story nitong mga ito.

Then my interest shifted to espionage thrillers. At dito isa lang ang naging favorite ko – si Frederick Forsyth whose The Day of the Jackal and The Odessa File were even adapted to films na pinanood ko pa rin.

After studies and when I started working, tinamad akong magbasa. Until John Grisham came along. Una kong nabasa yong The Client which is his fourth novel. Then I went back to A Time to Kill, The Firm and The Pelican Brief before continuing on to The Chamber. Pinanood ko rin lahat ng film adaptations nito although I was always disappointed kasi, iba talaga yong picture na tumakbo sa utak ko while I was reading the novel compared doon sa mga interpretation na ginawa sa big screen.

Then tinamad na naman akong magbasa. But years later, I picked-up a copy of his A Painted House which was a total departure from his legal drama genre. And lately, sinubukan ko ulit syang balikan via The Broker which was his first attempt on crime thriller category. It was good but not as brilliant as his earlier works.

Lately, binasa ko rin si Robert Ludlum only because I was amazed by the film The Bourne Identity. And so I read The Holcroft Covenant and The Acquitaine Progression. Pero hanggang don na lang.

Today, most of the time, current events na ang binabasa ko. Signs of ageing? Siguro. But unless there is something that would titillate my interest, saka na lang ako ulit magbasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment