Wednesday, June 25, 2008

the moment of stupidity

I once wrote that one of my favorite tv programs is the game show genre. However, there’s one game show being aired lately that, instead of entertaining me, leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me cringe.

It’s called The Moment of Truth, originally from Fox (US) and aired on MBC4 during weekend primetime. I watched short segments of two episodes, first was out of curiosity (hoping that I found a new game show to love, got totally disappointed) and the second just to confirm what I saw before. And yes, it was true. It’s one useless, pointless, ruthless and mindless game show I’d rather pass up on.

Whoever invented this game must be sick. I really don’t know why this should be aired and watched by the public.

What’s exciting from asking personal, sexually oriented and sometimes too graphic questions to a contestant who’s comfortably sitting in a chair just answering yes or no, true or false? Is it the voice over, supposedly a speaking lie detector, who pass judgement on the contestant’s answer? “that answer is true” or “that answer is false” Duh!

Or is it the added drama from a panel of hangers-on planted as moral support to the contestant but always ends up shocked and crying from the secrets being revealed? Though I can’t empathize with them – everything is so obviously orchestrated!

Oh yes! It must be the secrets being revealed to thousands (God forbid, millions) of viewers by the contestants. Secrets that your typical neighborhood rumor mongers love. Which only shows how low this program goes.

And the contestants? They’re just plain and simple stupid. For them to allow themselves to be subjected to this utter humiliation - answering very personal questions on worldwide television - and in the process revealing secrets that others, including me, would take to the graves. For what, some amount of money?

So you’d get $10,000 if you admit you’ve been admiring yourself in front of a mirror? $15,000 if you reveal you’ve been sleeping with your bestfriend’s wife? $25,000 if you plead guilty for making a wax replica of your private parts? And what question will make you win the $500,000 top prize? Admit that you have been communicating with the devil? Or announce to the world that you’re the devil incarnate yourself?

Or maybe it’s not stupidity. Just downright greed. That is why they can swallow whatever is left of their self-respect. For a certain price.

Do I get entertained? No. My mind's not that twisted yet. Do I learn anything from it? No. Except that people will do anything these days to get some cash. And that they are willing to air dirty laundry on worldwide television that could ruin not only the contestant’s dignity but destroy relationships and even wreck an entire family as well.
Though it comes with a big IF - if even one single part of the program is authentic. Which is highly doubtful. Coz how would the host (Mark Walberg, not the actor/singer) know what intimate questions to ask if everything hasn't been scripted and rehearsed? And they even try to pass it up as a reality show??? Duh and duh again!

As my own, small protest, I wouldn’t allow myself to be counted as part of the viewing statistics of this game show. And I hope it doesn’t last long. Without a doubt, it’s reality television gone bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment