Tuesday, June 3, 2008

my favorite tv game shows

of the very many programs i've been watching over the boob tube, game shows mainly occupy my top faves. and over the years that i've seen game shows come and go, there were quite a few that i really don't mind watching over and over again. excluding reality shows (in truth, these shows are scripted and edited so where's the reality, really) here are the giants of game shows that have become my all-time faves.

Jeopardy! – My all-time favorite. Started in the early 60’s but it was Alex Trebek who made the show a household name since he started hosting it in 1984. It has the most Emmy Awards for Best Game Show – 11!

Family Feud – another long-time favorite. Though I’m more familiar with the episodes hosted by Richard Dawson who hosted the first run from 1976 to 1985. I haven’t seen the latest versions hosted by Louie Anderson or John O’Hurley.

Greed – Though this one had a very short run (Nov 1999 to Jul 2000), I liked the mechanics of this game show. It’s a game show alright, but it shows how greedy men can be.

The Crystal Maze – originally hosted by the flamboyant Richard O’Brien, it was one of my favorite shows when BBC Prime was still on air. It was shown from 1990 to 1995. Featured different games – trivia, physical, mental – while going through a maze. Very engaging.

Who Wants to be A Millionaire – Originally from the UK, this is the most successful game show franchise ever (according to Wikipedia) – being aired in 100 countries worldwide.

Are you smarter than a 5th Grader – One of the most recent hit game shows, I love this one because of the cute factor of 5th grader questions giving adults the embarassment of their lives. Hilarious.

Name That Tune – For people who thought they are walking jukeboxes (like me), this game show will put that claim to test. It had several runs during the 70’s and 80’s and I guess the one I’ve seen in my teens are the ones hosted by Jim Lange.

The Weakest Link – Of the very many versions around, I still liked the one hosted by Anne Robinson. It also originated in the UK and had various international versions. The Philippine edition started out with Edu who’s very good and ended with Allan K who struggled to put on a straight face. It must have been torture for him.

Friends Like Us – another game show from the now defunct BBC Prime. It has two opposing teams of five friends each doing challenges from physical to mental to skill. Gives away fabulous vacation trip for the winning team to top vacation spots.

Wheel of Fortune – another iconic tv game show which started in 1975 and has made Pat Sajak and Vanna White household names. Don't know about Kris' version though.

No comments:

Post a Comment