Friday, February 8, 2008

my top ten pop corn movies

let me just continue my series on top ten favorite films. this time, a merry mix of sci-fi, fantasy, action/love stories i would call pop corn movies. not heavy hitters like the color purple or gladiator but nevertheless highly entertaining. films that i still watch at any given opportunity and never grow tired of it.


Star Wars. From the first Star Wars in 1977 (re-titled A New Hope) until the last prequel, Revenge of the Sith in 2005, this series is my ultimate favorite sci-fi. In fact I wish George Lucas will come up with more episodes. Sci-fi movies come and go. But they will never beat the appeal, the following and the cult Star Wars has generated from it’s millions of fans around the world.

Top Gun. This 1986 Tony Scott movie almost made me go to a flying school. The airborne fight scenes, the sweeping camera works, the music of Kenny Loggins (who happens to be one of my faves), the cinematography and the young Tom Cruise (before scientology!) made one heck of an impression on my young mind. And it’s main theme, Take My Breath Away by Berlin remains to be one of my favorite love songs.

ET. I saw this film in 1982 but until today, I haven’t forgotten it’s magic. I’d never forget how this film made me cry. And it showed how talented Steven Spielberg is.

Willow. Long before Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings cast their spell on moviegoers, I already adored Willow, a movie about magic spells and sorcery. Starring a few hobbits and one of my favorite actors – Val Kilmer, this 1988 film directed by Ron Howard is based on a story by the creator of Star Wars - George Lucas himself!

Shakespeare In Love. This movie won Oscar Best Picture in 1998 and gave Gwyneth Paltrow her Best Actress trophy. But most importantly, it gave Best Supporting Actress trophy to another favorite of mine – Dame Judi Dench who was superb in her role as the Queen.
Batteries Not Included. A 1987 film directed by Matthew Robbins with the old but wonderful actress Jessica Tandy as one of the main characters. It is a story of a pair of small UFO’s that changed the life people living in an old apartment building. Many of the international versions of this film used the title Miracle on 8th Street.

Ever After. This 1998 film starring Drew Barrymore and directed by Andy Tenant was sub-titled A Cinderella Story. Because it is the story of Cinderella but presented with a different flavor which I found more interesting and entertaining. I love this Cinderalla who punches and carries a man on his back!. Supporting Drew is another superb actress, Anjelica Houston, who was perfect for the role of the wicked stepmother.

Babe. This Australian film released in 1995, directed by Chris Noonan, captured the hearts of moviegoers worldwide and was nominated for 7 Oscar awards including Best Picture. With a pig as the main character, it was a charming, eccentric but very amusing film about hanging on to your dreams, no matter what.

Ghost. Another unforgettable film that made both careers of Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore. I was a sucker for this 1990 film by Jerry Zucker (hehehe!). A touching love story flavored with the unforgettably hilarious character of Whoopi Goldgerg.

Beauty and the Beast. The only full-length animated movie to be nominated as Best Picture in the Oscars. Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise and released in 1991, it revived my interest on animated films, particularly the ones from Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment