Monday, January 28, 2008

a prime cut

If you’re buying meat from a butcher, you’d ask for a prime cut. Either on beef, pork, lamb or whatever, prime cut will give you the best portion of the whole thing. And that’s exactly what Prime Note is all about – the best cut of acapella music from an all-male, all-OFW choir.

I first saw them perform their maiden concert in Al-Khobar back in 2002. Little did I know that I was being a part of a history in the making. Coz here they are, six years later, already an internationally renowned group who represents a country that is so unlikely to surface in an international music competition, much more in the choral music scene.

Yep, the group is composed purely of Filipino workers based in Saudi Arabia. And that’s what makes this group quite extraordinary. They hold day jobs, earning to support their families back in the Philippines, and yet these incredibly energetic (and of course talented) creatures still find time to do something as noble as this.

For someone like me whose laziness manifests on dodging commitments and responsibilities as much as I can, this group is the ultimate epitome of the words hard work, dedication and commitment. Obviously, each member has to commit themselves 100% to the goal of the group (not a very easy goal, mind you). They have to work doubly hard (I won’t even contemplate on working part-time after my 8-hour job) and dedicate not just a whole lot of their time, but in most cases, their resources to keep the group going.

It’s not just to keep the group intact, not just being content on being labelled as ‘the first Filipino acapella choir in Saudi Arabia’, but also maintaining a stature they have already earned from numerous local and international performances.

And by stature I mean not just standing ovations and a showering of good reviews from a respected Arab News correspondent and Star Magazine columnists. But a gold diploma and bronze medal in a choral competition in Xiamen, China in 2006. And the adulation and respect of music aficionados when they showcased their talent in Nancy, France last year. That’s something they have to prove once again in a competition in Graz, Austria in July.

And that’s the reason why I’m writing this. They need support. Prayers are very much appreciated of course, thank you. But when I say support, I mean some legal tender being accepted by travel agents in exchange for a plane ticket that will bring their talent to that side of the world. Through this blog, I’m hoping to find people who’s got philanthropic bones in them to help the group in their Austrian trip. Who knows, Bill Gates might be reading my blog! Hehehehe!

But seriously, we don’t need Bill Gates to pull this off. Just the old, reliable bayanihan spirit of Filipinos. Specially if it’s for a good cause. Coz believe me, I’m not exaggerating when I say these guys are making history. Something that I believe in. Because it is something we can all share and be proud of as OFW’s. And Filipinos for that matter.

For contributions, pledges and support, visit http://www.pne-choir.com/ or e-mail primenote@gmail.com

Disclaimer: I'm just a supporter/believer and not, in any way, connected to PNE. Though one friend is a member of the group, I do not stand to benefit in any way from whatever funds this campaign may generate. Just an honest attempt to help the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment