Wednesday, February 11, 2009

who wants to be a....slumdog

This film has created quite a buzz in the western hemisphere so I have to see it and find out why. Besides, I love Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. It’s in my top ten favorite Tv game shows, remember?
.
And even it's a predominantly Indian film (actors, location, story), it was made by a British team so at least I wouldn’t be rolling my eyes with the usual action-drama-dancing-singing formula Indian films are so well known for. Oh well, I was wrong about the dancing but at least it was left out in the end just to entertain you while the credits roll. Fair enough.

So was it really good? Yes. And that big yes comes from the way the story was told (not the story itself, I’ll tell you why later). The way the story was interwoven with the game show was clever. Very clever.

It’s about Salim and Jamal, two young siblings from the slums of Bombay who lost their mother at an early age. They grew up street-smart with the older Salim turning out to be the bad seed, ending up as a henchman for a wealthy crook. The younger Jamal ended up as a tea boy in a Call Center while chasing the love of his life – Latika who she met while they were still scavenging the dumpsites of what is now the thriving metropolis of Mumbai.

And it is because of Latika why Jamal joined Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, won the hearts of the Indian people, a whopping 20 million rupees and, most importantly, finally having what he wanted all his life – Latika, what else. Okay, it sounds so simple and convenient but it wasn’t. Really. There was a whole lot of action, drama and a peppering of laughter in between.

The main characters are well-acted. The extremely lucky Jamal by Dave Patel and the beautiful Latika by Freida Pinto. Anil Kapoor was also dead-on as the host of the game show whose charismatic facade hides a bit of a dark streak.

The director (Danny Boyle) did a very good job of controlling his actors, the set, the photography and the whole material. He kept me firmly glued in front of the screen for the full 1hour 50minute run time.

I would also credit the editor (Chris Dickens) who did a good job of switching back and forth in three different time frames - the game show, the investigation and the story segment being played out – without you getting lost in what could easily be a maze-like story telling.

So am I singing high praises? Hmmm.... not quite. For a few reasons.

A thread of the story reminds me of the multi-awarded Lino Brocka film Maynila sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag. If you’ve seen both films, I’m sure you’d agree with me. Barging into a brothel in search of the damsel in distress and running away with her after killing her pimp? Familiar, eh?

I also have a few questions about the story that are somehow bugging me.

1. Is the final question, the one worth the top prize money in that game show, really that easy? I’ve seen a whole lot of this show and I don’t recall seeing a question so easy for such a huge amount.

2. Would the game show host really have any care what amount of money a contestant will win in his game show? Maybe, if he’s also the producer. But I really find it hard to swallow why the contestant will be arrested, tortured and interrogated only because the host suspects him to be a cheat.

3. The two boys had very little education, grew up in the streets with no prior contact with foreigners and yet they easily hustled their way around Taj Majal posing as bogus tour guides dealing with English-speaking foreigners? Come on!

4. How can Jamal give away a 100 dollar to a beggar while he was just a help in a small restaurant? Even if the beggar was a colleague from the old dark days, is he really that rich to give away so much money?

Like what I always say, exaggerations for cinematic effect always kill the honesty of the story. In this case, the story line was great. But the tiny flaws killed it.

So would I give Slumdog Millionaire the Oscar Best Picture prize? Not quite. The Brits did it in the BAFTA. But I don’t think the Americans will do the same. It’s one good film alright. It deserves it’s nomination. But I really doubt if the highest award is in the offing.

No comments:

Post a Comment